June 8, 1975: Restoration of Governor’s Mansion completed

The Governor’s Mansion, first occupied in 1842, had deteriorated structurally to the point that it was declared unsafe for occupancy in 1971. The legislature allocated funds for the restoration and renovation which began in 1972 and restored many of the building’s original features, such as the staircase, sliding doors, and heart pine floors.

The restored building is now open to the public for tours. For more information call 601-359-6421.

More about: