January, 1867: First temple built by the Beth Israel Congregation of Jackson

Completed in 1868 the wood frame structure was built on the corner of State and South Streets. The temple was used as both a school and house of worship. The building burned in 1874 and was rebuilt. In the early 1940s a the congregation relocated to a new synagogue built on Woodrow Wilson Avenue. Beth Israel moved to its present location on Old Canton Road in 1967.

More about: